Monday 1 August 2011

A trip back to Barrow In Furness --with panoramic photos ( click on pic to see in full size )

Took a journey up the M65, M61 ,M6 and A590 to the town I grew up in  and the town  County Palatine  Lancashire town I once called home at the weekend ----the town of Barrow In Furness.
Visits up here are increasingly few and far between these days as the years pass but when I do get up I like to get out the camera and have a look round at how the place is changing and remember times ,people and places I use to frequent .


Dalton Rd ( Picture taken from the Crellin St End ) is ---or should that be was once the main shopping street when I lived in the town and used to be a hive of activity  but sadly  like the shops I remember from the old days times have changed and they are no longer around .Oh for the days of meeting up in Bruccianis Cafe and going in Wells or Kellys music shop ---you could spend a whole afternoon down town once  memories abound


As do the memories of the old buildings along the dockside --now as well long gone now a new skyspace .Sadly to now just a  memory are times when at 12 noon and 4.30pm could be seen the spectical of what I heard Max Boyce call the working mans tour de france as men on bicycles would pour out of the shipyard gates ---and wobetide  anyone getting in the way


Further down  Michelson Rd to what we call Barrow Island and the Glasgow style tenement blocks Memories here of one roasting hot July afternoon and the time as a member of St James choir we took part in a recording of Songs of Praise at the Church of St Johns .time to turn left and head off down Ferry Rd
 
 Standing on Jubilee Bridge which is the only way to get to Walney Island by road I can see more changes .The skyline has lost the view of the steelworks and associated slag bank to be replaces by modern offices , Industrial units and a rather nice promenade walk  the times I walked or traveled by bus on this bridge going to school ---my old school books ended up in here when left in 1975 ---ah well time to move on
 Along North Road and what we used to call the Low Rd where if you where on a bike you would dice with death as you wheels would get stuck in the tracks of the old railway lines to another load of changes  Hollywood Park --and area of a Cinema and fast food outlets and retail units has replaced the old Corporation Clensing department and scrapyards ---there used to be a flipping big chimney hear that I once painted along with a mate when I work for the Council ----I can still smell the fear now as we did it off 1 ladder --happy days eh
 Time to head back and get on with the duties of the day Passing the old where the old bus depot used to stand and where I took my cycling proficiency at the John Winnerah   institute then left up Abbey Rd and then up Dalton Rd 
Just a brief stop here to remember the old Abbey Baths --now where the courts stands and the old ABC ( Ritz ) picture house now replaced by an office block ---long gone are the days of me living here ---as it is for many a Barrovian ----Memories are all some of us have now as the place changes---its not home anymore but like we say you can take the boy out of Barrow In Furness ----But you will never take Barrow in Furness out of the boy
PLEASE NOTE 
All pictures where taken on a Sunday ---hence why its so quite

No comments:

Post a Comment